Monday, July 29, 2013

And she's off! Destination....台灣台中!



This is Sister Peng's final email from the MTC!  She departs for Taiwan tomorrow.  If you wish to write her, her address in Taiwan is:


Sister Nicholle Peng
#498 -11 Wu Chuan Rd
Taichung 404-46
Taiwan ROC

Glow stick greeting
Dear Mom and All the Wonderful People Who Read These:

Oh my! Has the last week of my MTC stay already passed?  Where has time gone?  I leave tomorrow to Taiwan! I can hardly believe it!  In less than 48 hours I'll be in another country! It hasn't quite sunken in yet.  I'm pretty much all packed and ready to go, but I don't feel like I'm really going to Taiwan.  Not sure when it'll actually hit me.  I'll get back to ya'll on that. :)  Anyways, this week has been pretty good, all things considered.  We did a few things that changed up our schedules just a bit; enough to make it seem less monotonous.  Though, there were still a few days where I couldn't wait to be able to leave our classroom.  It gets pretty tiresome just spending hours on end sitting in the same room.  We try to spend as much time outside as possible, no matter how hot it is.  We have our own favorite spot by the back fence, where they have a few tables and it's shaded by trees.  I'm so thankful for the nice cool weather we've been having.  It's been perfect! I'll really miss it when I get to Taiwan.  It's supposed to be in the 90s when we get there or something.

Anyways, on last Monday (Wow, it feels like it was just Monday and that I was emailing yesterday... Then again, Monday seems so far away that it's hard to remember all that happened.)  we did TRC over Skype.  That was a good experience, though I still like talking to people in person.  I miss our TRC visits with people in person.  You could get a better feel of their personality, as well as have more control on the amount of spirit in the room.  You know, it's so easy just to assume that you are just practicing teaching.  It's easy to just think that it's just the members who are doing you a service by being patient with you.  I never really thought about if we were actually making a difference for them.  I just felt like my Chinese wasn't good enough to teach about the gospel.  And then I got a short Dear Elder from someone we met at TRC.  It was the father from the visit that we taught him and his two daughters how to pray in Chinese.  It said something to the fact that, even though they were already members, we as missionaries still have the power to make a difference for them, and to help them strengthen their spirit.  It totally made my day to read that I actually did do something!  I'll need to send him a card today, to thank him.  :)

On Tuesday, we had a devotional.  Yup, I bet you would have never guessed!  I've been forgetting to mention choir, which we have been going to on and off.  On Tuesday we sang Praise to the Man for the devotional.  It was such a cool rendition! It was hard, but I loved it!  Anyways, the Choir conductor is AWESOME.  Brother Egget, that's his name, always has a lot of patience and tells a lot of funny and spiritual stories.  On Tuesday, he shared a thought that, for me, had more power than the whole devotional.  It was to the fact that, out of 10,000 or so souls, Heavenly Father only picked 1 to be sent to the latter days and to have the gospel in their lives.  It was inspiring to think that he chose me to go and serve him.  I keep thinking that I'm not good enough, that I won't be a good missionary because I'm too shy, and because I can’t teach well enough.  But then I realize, that's not the truth at all.  Through Heavenly Father, and having faith in him I know that I can be a good missionary.  He gives me courage, because I know I'm not alone.  He is always with me.  And I don't have to be a good teacher.  I just have to try my best.  Because, in fact, I'm not the real teacher.  The spirit is.  I just have to open my mouth, and the spirit will testify through me.  He knows me; just as he knows everyone else.  He just needs us to recognize the fact that he is there for us. And that he will always love us, no matter how many mistakes we make. 

On Wednesday, guess what!  We got to host! We didn't get invited to host, we just decided that we would go attend the meeting, and if they said that we couldn't host, we would leave.  When we went to the meeting, there were a ton of people there.  And a lot of them were missionaries who had been there for a shorter amount of time than we were.  And then, there were also some missionaries who had already hosted before!  We don't know how they decide who will be invited to host, but whatever they do, it's not quite as organized as it should be.  Anyways, when we were there, they said that it was okay for us to host.  It would just be us doing voluntary service, which we were fine with.  Anyways, long story short, I got to host one Sister, there was a shortage of new Sisters coming in this week.  She was from Florida, and she is serving in the Provo mission.  She has a lot of family here in Utah, which she's lucky for, because if she ever needs anything she can just ask them to send her things.  I'm a little bit jealous, considering the fact that it takes about $50 to send things to Taiwan.  But that's okay, I'll be able to buy most things there, if I need it.  I doubt I'll need a lot of things.  I pretty much packed everything. :P

Sisters Peng, & Eliason with their Chinese Teacher
On Thursday we had In-Field orientation.  It's kind of funny, because it reminds me a bit of like EFY.  They do a lot of object lessons to try and get principles to stick in our minds.  I really learned a lot, well, I already knew a lot of the stuff but review never hurts anyone.  Here are a few points that really stood out to me:
  • Never let anyone, including yourself, tell you that you aren't able to do something.  Always believe that you can.  And with that belief, you can do anything.
  • Always rely on the Lord's guidance.  Pray before doing anything and listen to his council.  (This one is great.  At the MTC we take it to heart.  We even pray before gym! Hahaha!)
  • Set goals first and then plan.   If you set goals first, you can then plan around them.  That way, you know that you will have opportunities to make those goals.  Also, remember, goals are there to make you stretch.  If your goals are making you feel guilty, then you need to take a step back and re evaluate.
  • Never lower your expectations.  Keep your standards high!  But remember, sometimes you have to do things one step at a time.  You might  have to build yourself up before you can truly reach your goal.
  • Talk to EVERYONE.  You never know whose life you can change. 
  • (This one is more for Missionaries)  Members are your friends!  Use them in your teaching!  In fact, let them teach investigators!  Their testimonies can sometimes touch the lives of peoples that yours can't. 
  • As to the members, pray for missionary experiences!
Anyways, Friday and Saturday are pretty much a blur.  I spent a lot of time evaluating myself and reflecting.  I also made some goals for my mission:
  • Become fluent enough in Chinese that people think that I am a native of Taiwan.
  • Become fluent enough in Chinese, and forget English enough to pass as an international student when I go back to school. (Okay, yeah, this one is a bit silly. :P)
  • Read the Book of Mormon all the way through every month.
I'm still working on my goals.  But the last one, about the Book of Mormon, I think is very important for everyone.  I believe that it would benefit everyone in the world to read from the Book of Mormon every day.  I know that the Book of Mormon is the word of God.  How do I know?  I've read it.  I've felt his love for me through it's words.  My relationship with him as been strengthened, and I know that he is my Heavenly Father.  If you are a member, I encourage you to read from the Book of Mormon every day.  No, don't just read it.  Study it!  Apply it to your lives.  Pray to gain knowledge.  It doesn't matter if you read for 10 minutes a day or an hour.  The Book of Mormon will bless you in your everyday lives.

If you aren't LDS you don't have to take my advice, I know.  But I invite you to get a Book of Mormon (Through the Missionaries, or members, or yeah... You can ask me even!) and read it for yourself.  Read and Pray.  The Book of Mormon can help anyone and everyone.  But it can't help you if you don't give it a chance.  I testify that through it, you will gain a stronger testimony of Jesus Christ.  You will feel more happiness and peace in your life.  You will feel God's love. 

Sunday was very good, as always.  For sacrament meeting, I gave a talk!  They do this thing where they just call you from the pulpit.  No warning beforehand.  They do give everyone the topic a few days before, so people can write talks.  But it's not guaranteed of whether or not you will be chosen to speak.  Well, I pretty much guessed that I would be chosen (They choose one sister and one elder) since I always get chosen.  I wasn't as nervous as I thought I would be.  And the topic was easy.  IT was about the Book of Mormon.  And I love the Book of Mormon, so It was not hard to write a talk.  We had several good speakers for the devotionals.  And we also went to two departure meetings/devotionals (one was for the branch, one was for the MTC) which gave advice and talked about protocol.  Yup...

Today has been pretty good.  Busy!  I've been packing and writing letters and packing and doing laundry and packing.  Haha! Yup that's about it!

Well, I'm about out of time!  This will be my last email from the MTC! I'll be going to Taiwan tomorrow!  I hope that everyone has a good week.  Wish me luck!
Love,
Sister Nicholle Peng
Glow stick writing - Pioneer Day




No comments:

Post a Comment